Welcome to the 2012 SMP Regional Conferences!
The U.S. Administration on Aging (AoA) is excited to announce this year's SMP Regional Conferences! The conferences will take place:
- Regions VIII – X: August 14–16, 2012 in Denver, Colorado
- Regions V – VII: August 28–30, 2012 in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Regions I – IV: September 19–21, 2012 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The theme for the conferences this year is "Telling Our Story: SMPs Making a Difference." We have an exciting agenda which includes partners from the CMS, OIG, HHS, state Attorney General's offices, and state units on aging. Together we are going to discuss our efforts to make a difference in the fight against health care fraud by sharing the SMP message of "protect, detect, and report" in local communities. The conferences will also provide an opportunity for the SMPs to gather information and tools on complex issues, reporting, and volunteer risk and program management. Additionally, we will showcase exemplary SMP practices in outreach, partnerships, and reaching target populations.
As in the past, AoA's purpose for hosting regional conferences is to assist, support, inform and recognize the work of the 54 SMPs nationwide, the National Hispanic SMP, and the SMP Resource Center. After 15 years' experience as a national network empowering seniors to prevent health care fraud, error and abuse, there is much to celebrate and much yet to accomplish. The 2012 SMP Regional Conferences will offer an opportunity to review the core values and practices that define the SMP program, yet also hone new skills to strengthen both our fraud prevention efforts and our involvement of volunteers in the fight against fraud.
All SMPs should attend, to include up to three participants per SMP. The conference budget is based on an average of three participants per SMP program, so if not every SMP plans to bring three participants, there may be availability for other SMPs to bring more people as space permits. If you are hoping to register more than three participants, please first contact Doris Summey at AoA to determine space availability (202-357-3533 or Doris.Summey@aoa.hhs.gov). Since we will again have a focus on volunteer risk and program management initiatives this year, we strongly encourage you to bring the coordinator or manager of volunteers for your project.
- May 25 – Registration opens for Denver, CO and Grand Rapids, MI.
- June 1 – Registration opens for Philadelphia, PA.
- Registration closes (This is also the last day to receive special hotel room rates):
- Denver, CO: July 14, 2012
- Grand Rapids, MI: August 4, 2012
- Philadelphia, PA: August 25, 2012
The conferences are scheduled for two and ½ days. Please plan to arrive on the day before your Regional Conference is scheduled to begin and depart in the afternoon of the last day.
- Additional information will be provided on this website throughout the spring and summer.
- For agenda-related questions, please contact Rebecca Kinney at Rebecca.Kinney@aoa.hhs.gov.
- For logistical questions about the conference, please contact Aisha Walker, Westover Consultants, at 301-657-5819 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Doris Summey, AoA, at Doris.Summey@aoa.hhs.gov.
I look forward to seeing all of you in August and September and to hearing the stories of how your SMP programs are making a difference in the fight against health care fraud throughout the country.
Director, Office of Elder Rights
Administration on Aging
Administration for Community Living